BEFORE YOU PUT POLITICAL SIGNS IN THE GROUND
KNOW WHAT’S BELOW!
For decades, utility providers installed thousands of miles of pipelines, wires, cables and other equipment across our state. Now, that complex utility network is buried beneath homes and schools, businesses and roadways, parks, open spaces, forests and farms. Knowing what’s below before installing signs prevents serious injuries and protects the vital utilities we all rely on every day.
INSTALL SIGNS SAFELY
Stay safe and avoid damages by installing signs at least 2 feet (24 inches) from the paint, flags or other marks you see on the ground.
UTILITY MARKING COLORS
Utilities are marked with paint, flags or whiskers in different colors based on what type they are in accordance with the Uniform Color Code of Utility Markings. Review the color code here so you know which type(s) of utilities you are working around!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click on the question to view the corresponding answer.
– To download the form to use for registration with Arizona 811, please click here.
– There are additional Landlord requirements under A.R.S. 40-360. Please click here for entire text of law.
– To download the form to notify landlords registered with Arizona 811 about your plans to dig, please click here.
– There are additional excavator requirements related to landlord notification and response. Please click here for the entire text of the law.
Please specify in the “Remarks” section which facility owner/operator(s) are impacted and the details of the issue (Did they not respond at all? Were their marks incomplete? Do you not understand their marks? Did you receive a voice mail message, email or other notice that you did not agree to or understand?).
When you are ready to submit this transaction, have the Arizona 811 Locate Specialist select (if by phone) or you can select (if by E-Stake) only the facility owner/operator(s) that are impacted. This transaction will be treated as a priority and will be sent to the impacted facility owner/operator(s) immediately.
It is important to process this follow-up transaction to document the situation in addition to any other verbal or written communication you have with the facility owner/operator(s) to ensure proper documentation of the situation is recorded on your ticket. For assistance, contact Call Center Operations Manager Brad Simon at (602) 659-7501 or Brad.Simon@Arizona811.com
- White = Proposed excavation site
- Pink = Temporary survey
- Red = Electric power
- Yellow = Gas, oil product lines (includes natural and liquid gases)
- Orange = Communications, cable TV, fiber optics
- Blue = Water, slurry
- Purple = Reclaimed water
- Green = Sanitary sewer system, storm drain
MARKING COLOR CODES
Gas, Oil Product Lines
Water Systems, Slurry